From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] desktop profile: Switch make.defaults to +elogind, drop consolekit
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2019 05:08:03
1 On Mon, 2019-04-01 at 01:23 +0200, Andreas Sturmlechner wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > We've had sys-auth/elogind available in Gentoo repo for quite a while now, and
5 > it seems to work fine for many people, as Plasma, Cinnamon, and the recently
6 > added Gnome support have shown. In the last few days, elogind support was also
7 > brought to MATE and Xfce.
8 >
9 > Meanwhile, sys-auth/consolekit is showing its age, with the upstream
10 > repository not touched in more than a year. At least for Plasma and SDDM I am
11 > aware of several paper cuts with it, that simply no one is bothering to fix for
12 > years, and it makes us depend on sys-power/pm-utils - which is really dead -
13 > for suspend. Combine that with the ^^ ( elogind systemd ) requirement in
14 > Cinnamon and Gnome, and it should be obvious that elogind is becoming the
15 > better default setting.
16
17 And I would think that USE=systemd would be the obvious better default,
18 with more coverage than elogind :-P.
21 Best regards,
22 Michał Górny