From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: cleaning away old news items
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 14:58:48
1 On 25/11/2013 01:35, Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 > when doing a fresh installation I noticed that during I get to see many
4 > old news items. There used to be a problem with Portage so no news items
5 > could be removed. I think that has now been fixed for years so we
6 > should be able to do this without problems. How about we start by
7 > cleaning away everything from for example before 2011? Alternatively to
8 > total removal if we want keep them for historical purposes, we could add
9 > conditions that make them impossible to show to anyone.
10 >
11 > Regards,
12 > Petteri
15 Removal of no longer relevant or very old news items is specifically
16 permitted by GLEP 42[1]. I did some targeted removals in the past, and
17 it didn't cause any issues as you said. A wider-ranging cleanup is
18 definitely a good idea.
19 Archiving them is no problem, since they will always still be in git
20 history.
21
22 [1]: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0042.html#news-item-removal