From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] vim
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 07:07:24
1 I'm considering a change and would like feedback on it. Currently there
2 are two ebuilds for vim. The first is sys-apps/vim-nogui, the second is
3 app-editors/vim-gtk.
4
5 I would like to collapse these into a single ebuild called
6 app-editors/vim. This ebuild fulfills the following goals:
7
8 (1) Provide a nogui version of Vim that includes the various
9 interpreters (Perl, Python, Ruby) that are listed in USE. The
10 sys-apps/vim-nogui ebuild can't do this because it's designed to be
11 used on minimal system installation. However I think that ebuild
12 can retire now that e3 is available for minimal installations.
13
14 (2) Provide a gui version of Vim that is built depending on the USE
15 flags (unlike the current app-editors/vim-gtk ebuild). For example,
16 use gnome, use gtk, or use X (Athena widgets in this case). This
17 version is installed as /usr/bin/gvim
18
19 (3) Provide them in the same ebuild, so that it isn't necessary to
20 maintain separate ebuilds to follow the versions of Vim.
21
22 (4) Upgrade to Vim 6. Officially this version is still in Beta, but
23 it's used by many people in production already because of the added
24 features. I believe RH ships Vim 6 in their most recent version.
25
26 I think these goals cater to 95% of Vim users by providing both
27 graphical and non-graphical versions, with the full feature-set in each.
28 The only reason I haven't committed it yet is that I'm not sure how to
29 go about retiring sys-apps/vim-nogui and app-editors/vim-gtk. Also,
30 I would like to verify with the other Gentoo developers that this would
31 be an acceptable course.
32
33 If I receive no negative feedback to this email in the next couple days,
34 I will pursue retiring the current vim ebuilds, and commit this new
35 app-editors/vim ebuild.
36
37 Thanks,
38 Aron
39
40 P.S. Thanks to Insyte who handed me his first Vim 6 ebuild, even though
41 it has been changed significantly since then.

vim-6.0_pre48.ebuild text/plain