From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2017 21:06:08
1 On Sunday, February 5, 2017 7:14:45 AM EST Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Sat, 04 Feb 2017 12:44:38 -0500
3 >
4 > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > The question to ask is who do you want to create more work for?
6 > > People maintaining packages, or people maintaining profiles.
7 >
8 > I would probably say "yes" to both of those, because the main objective here
9 > is to create less work for the end user, and that burden has to be paid by
10 > somebody.
11
12 Definitely needs to be developers vs end users paying the time price. Just
13 increasing requirements to maintaining package can increase the entrance
14 barrier. It is not like people are flocking to maintain packages as is now.
15
16 I am sure most any developer would welcome another even if they just maintain
17 a single package :)
18
19 > I don't think its anything that is the responsibility of either one of those
20 > targets in isolation.
21
22 I would agree as I am all about working together rather than apart! That said
23 I am not against teams having a particular focus, and working with others on
24 their agenda.
25
26 > > Essentially your saying IUSE defaults do not belong in a package, but in a
27 > > profile. The problem is that is a hard rule to follow. What if the default
28 > > benefits all, like in a base profile. Then it might make sense to add
29 > > directly to ebuild than profile. But that would go against any
30 > > rule/policy saying only add IUSE defaults to profiles. At the same time,
31 > > if more than one profile needs that enabled by default, it is creating
32 > > more work there.
33 >
34 > That's rather the problem as I see it, people are trying to see it as an
35 > "either" situation when its rather both.
36
37 It is hard to satisfy both. Both do not share the same perspective or goal.
38
39 > > While the latter is cleaner, and therefore would seem preferred. It is not
40 > > that much effort to negate a flag in a profile. That is likely time better
41 > > spent. Than to have package maintainers messing with profile defaults,
42 > > touching more than one profile potentially, etc.
43 > >
44 > > Its probably best to have a team, familiar with profiles managing
45 > > profiles.
46 > > Rather than every developer working with IUSE and packages. While they may
47 > > be bloated, or uglier. There isn't really a way around, short of
48 > > something that bypasses default flags, allowing others to be set instead.
49 >
50 > As I see it, people who manage "profiles" are essentially managing a
51 > distinct "vision", a template of sorts of a stereotype of a specific type
52 > of end user, concerning themselves with espousing the same interest over a
53 > wide variety of packages.
54
55 Yes, and that vision may not be shared, or even cared about by the package
56 maintainer. Why should the package maintainer be burned with something that
57 does not apply to them?
58
59 Seems it is the profile people who care about such. Plus profiles could be
60 created without the package maintainers awareness. Or changes there in and
61 they would have to be kept in the loop.
62
63 > Whereas the people who manage packages are more concerned with a more
64 > "upstream centered" vision of things, ( where the maintainers themselves
65 > are a kind of upstream ).
66 >
67 > So naturally it will require some sort of negotiation, where the people
68 > who define profiles write guidelines for how packages should fit into
69 > those profiles, and the people who write packages should work out how
70 > to dovetail the upstream vision of things into those specific
71 > guidelines.
72
73 I agree, but I think that responsibility should fall on the profile team. They
74 should contact the package maintainer and work with them on their vision. Even
75 that will be taking time from the maintainer on a vision they may not share.
76
77 Putting increased requirements on the maintainers may be demotivating, and
78 create other problems. New profile added they are not aware of. Now they have
79 to go add IUSE defaults etc. There are a fair amount of profiles.
80
81 > For instance, perhaps one specific profile might be the "I Just want a
82 > kde/qt desktop of some kind, I don't care how", and thats the point of
83 > that profile, to deliver that specific experience.
84 >
85 > But the individual packages will still have to decide how to best
86 > satisfy that profile, which in some cases might end up preferring qt4
87 > instead of qt5 for instance (perhaps out of necessity)
88 >
89 > Maintainers of individual packages have the most knowledge about how to
90 > best deliver that specific package, but maintainers of profiles have
91 > the best understanding of what people want to see.
92
93 Yes has to be a balance. I do not believe package maintainers will always
94 share the vision of the profiles.
95
96 Said another way, if defaults were sane enough, would profiles be necessary?
97
98 Profiles are kind of an extra added benefit to the end user, and those making
99 the profiles. Mostly a benefit for the end user. There isn't much benefit to the
100 package maintainer. I could not really see anything that would give them
101 reason to spend their time on something that would not benefit them.
104 William L. Thomson Jr.