From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 17:19:36
1 On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 12:49 PM Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 07/24/2018 12:37 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > >> harder to customize, because you can't turn it off.
5 > >
6 > > This was already addressed in a previous comment - PMS can be modified
7 > > to nullify flags
8 > Saying that hypothetically we could modify the PMS and wait for a new
9 > EAPI and wait for all package managers to catch up and wait a year after
10 > that for the upgrade path and then update the profiles to a new EAPI and
11 > then implement this new feature is just an indirect way of saying "you
12 > can't do it."
13 >
14 > Changing the PMS won't let me set USE="-udev" in make.conf, anyway. It
15 > would only affect sub-profiles.
16
17 Certainly it should be implemented so that you could use it in make.conf.
18
19 I also said nothing about the order of changes here. The PMS change
20 could be made and be effective before the profile change is made.
23 Rich