From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo i486 support
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 13:20:29
1 On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 07:26:24 -0500
2 Ben Kohler <bkohler@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Thoughts?
5
6 Is there a good reason we can't have a legacy profile for this?
7
8 Or perhaps, a new (exp) arch entirely dedicated to legacy x86?
9
10 The latter would be ideal for ensuring everything we *claim* works on
11 i486 does indeed work there, and making it blatantly obvious what does
12 and doesn't work on i486.
13
14 And both strategies make it possible to restrict USE graphs to subsets
15 that can only work on i486.
16
17 The benefit of a new profile for x86 is it would assume everything
18 currently x86 works on i486, and then exceptions can be shot on a
19 case-by-case basis.
20
21 But that's also the downside, you start with a huge set and play
22 whack-a-mole with it, when ideally, you want to start with a *minimal*
23 working subset and build it out ( and this is where the second option
24 is better )
25
26 The arch-approach would also lend itself to compile-time switching in
27 individual packages too.