From: schism@×××××××××.org
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reorganization of /var/lib gentoo-related files
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 15:09:02
1 On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 12:00:35PM +0100, Fabio Rossi wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 31 December 2008, Marius Mauch wrote:
3 >
4 > > The same could be said about /var/lib/init.d, /var/lib/dhcp,
5 > > /var/lib/iptables or several other packages that aren't hosted by
6 > > Gentoo. In the other direction, if the packages are eventually used on
7 > > other distributions/systems, should they then use another path?
8 >
9 > The path could be configured of course but, again, I see a few chances of
10 > having this tools outside gentoo, the proposal is based also on this idea.
11 >
12 > > Mind that this only addresses the FHS part of my mail, you haven't
13 > > really answered my question: What's the benefit of changing things?
14 > > Change for the sake of change is rarely a good idea (unless you work in
15 > > PR/marketing ;)
16 >
17 > The main benefit is a cleaner filesystem, I don't know your opinion but I hate
18 > to see sparse files around the tree and waste time in discovering their
19 > source :-) Moreover IMHO it gives me the impression of a better design.
20
21 I'm the first to admit I'm an organization/directory junkie, but have
22 learned that 'cleaner' is certainly in the eye of the beholder. What I
23 see as disorganized chaos a flat-filer sees as visibility heaven. This
24 has nothing to do with good design (although you would and I used to
25 argue that) and everything to do with personal taste. It could even be
26 argued that the proposal is poor design, forcing Gentoo-specific
27 programs to follow non-standards, discouraging them from ever integrating
28 seamlessly with anything non-Gentoo.
29
30 This is Gentoo's living room and it generally lives there alone. Don't
31 force it into a small corner for no reason.
34 --dc