From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev and /usr
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 06:17:10
1 On Friday, September 16, 2011 06:06:35 PM Duncan wrote:
2 > Joost Roeleveld posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:36:27 +0200 as excerpted:
3 > > I agree, I just used this example to explain that it shouldn't be
4 > > necessary to force an initramfs on all users just because there is a
5 > > small group who wants to have an extreme setup.
6 >
7 > Careful with the "extreme". As you no doubt realize by now, the udev
8 > folks apparently consider anyone wanting a separate /usr but not an initr*
9 > "extreme". That'd certainly apply double if said admin (since no simple
10 > "user" cares about such stuff, in this view) had /usr on lvm.
11
12 Yes, I've noticed that.
13
14 Except that Redhat and Centos use LVM by default. Which will also mean that
15 "simple users" also end up using LVM.
16 Then again, they also end up with an initr* and a generic kernel for
17 everything under the sun.
18 I haven't properly looked at the kernel-configs from redhat lately, but I
19 don't think they include all the possible hardware options be default?
22 Joost