From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] net-libs/xulrunner-1.9 slotting or not?
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 18:13:38
1 Raúl Porcel a écrit :
2 > So, firefox-3, seamonkey-2, thunderbird-3 and other mozilla products
3 > will be using xulrunner-1.9, which is the codebase the mozilla products
4 > are based on. In fact, everytime you emerge any of those apps, you're
5 > compiling xulrunner, which takes 90% of the time to build. The good
6 > thing about those new versions, is that they'll be capable of using the
7 > xulrunner library installed of the system. So you only have to build
8 > xulrunner once, and you could build firefox-3, seamonkey-2,
9 > thunderbird-3 against it, and firefox-3 takes less than two minutes to
10 > build with shared xulrunner.
11
12 Brilliant! I thought they had dropped the idea of using xulrunner. Great
13 to hear this!
14
15 > Since firefox-3 seems usable now, i was thinking on adding it to the
16 > tree, however that'll need to add net-libs/xulrunner-1.9. Some apps use
17 > xulrunner at the moment[3], instead of building against firefox or
18 > thunderbird or seamonkey. Xulrunner is not mandatory to build firefox-3,
19 > in fact you can build firefox only with the current ebuilds in the overlay.
20
21 Do firefox and seamonkey still provide their own gtkmoz-embed? Are they
22 still different (ie, almost the same, but not quite entirely 100% the
23 same, although if you look at them they really look the same, but really
24 they're not?)
25
26 My other question is this, can't we do a big community thing à la Bug
27 Day where we make sure that all the apps that currently have
28 firefox/seamonkey/xulrunner use flags all build against xulrunner 1.9
29 and drop all other keywords for the sake of simplicity?
30
31 Anyhow, I'd say mask ff3 and xulrunner 1.9. Better fix things for real
32 instead of having our own hand-made workarounds.
33
34 Cheers,
35
36 Rémi