From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: Dead Qt4-based games-*/
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 20:54:19
1 On Sun, 03 Dec 2017 20:41:56 +0100
2 Andreas Sturmlechner <asturm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > # Andreas Sturmlechner <asturm@g.o> (03 Dec 2017)
5 > # Dead upstreams, depending on dead qt3support/qt4.
6 > # Masked for removal in 30 days. Bug #631788
7 > ...
8 > games-kids/crayon-physics
9
10 This is a commercial game that I have played in the past and still have
11 installed. I think you have to take special consideration over packages
12 for things that people have paid money for. You can't so easily say
13 "Oh just play another game then." You also can't expect "upstream" to
14 address the issue. We have sometimes left vulnerable commercial games
15 masked in the tree but in this case, the offender is the Qt4
16 dependency. I'm guessing that we won't be leaving Qt4 masked in the
17 tree so I'm not sure what to suggest. The game does bundle some
18 libraries but Qt4 isn't one of them, not that that would be a great
19 idea anyway.
20
21 I wondered if this would also affect Steam but Qt isn't in the
22 Ubuntu-based runtime so any game using it would need to bundle it with
23 the game itself. I haven't come across any other commercial games using
24 Qt but this proves that there is at least one.
27 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
28 Gentoo Linux Developer