From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposing fundamental changes to DevRel
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 04:06:27
1 On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 19:47:34 +0100
2 Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I'm against this idea - conflict resolution, I prefer the term
5 > mediation, is not something that the typical Gentoo developer is very
6 > good at. For sure, they have been involved in conflicts themselves
7 > but rarely, if ever, as a mediator.
8 >
9 > I think very few developers would stand for the role - its hard work
10 > ask any parent who has mediated between their offspring.
11 > I would prefer mediation to draw from a pool of volunteers, probably
12 > vetted by some trusted group and assigned to issues after their
13 > neutrality in any particular case had been determined by some method
14 > involving the protagonists. Elected mediators may well turn out to be
15 > unsuitable for the role.
16
17 The problem I see is that electing a pool of people to look into this
18 means opening the proverbial cans of worms to a wider public that
19 we have so far hidden away and resolved quietly.
20
21 I would think that where devrel fails, if and when and so on, the
22 higher authority to appeal to (the council) is already in place. But
23 then you could join devrel as a volunteer, I gather. I wonder if that's
24 what I should start doing now.
27 jer