From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: CPU use flag detection
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 04:50:03
1 On Sat, 18 May 2013 12:14:35 -0700
2 Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > MMX2/MMXEXT still confuses me.
5 >
6 > SSE1 and /Enhanced/ 3DNow! added some extra MMX instructions. Some
7 > (pshufw and pmulhuw particularly) turn out to be rather useful in
8 > software compositing. I use them in the pixman MMX code.
9 >
10 > See http://mattst88.com/programming/asmref/ (Sorry about the broken
11 > search box. It works, you just don't see what you type)
12
13 Oh I am going to get a lot of use out of this.
14
15 > Set Requires = Enhanced 3DNow!. The instructions that are listed as
16 > 'Enhanced 3DNow! or SSE1' are what are known as MMX2 or MMXEXT.
17 >
18 > The particularly annoying thing about using them is that there's no
19 > -mmmx2 or -mmmxext, but turning on -msse causes illegal instructions
20 > to be generated for old AMD or Geode CPUs, while -m3dnow causes the
21 > same problems for Intel CPUs. And, there's not actually even an
22 > -m3dnowext flag (anymore?) anyway, so it's kind of a mess.
23
24 Ah, that explains why I always thought they were Enh 3DNow options. Looks like
25 I have them spread out between MMX and Enh 3DNow in analyze-x86. Oops.
29 Ryan Hill psn: dirtyepic_sk
30 gcc-porting/toolchain/wxwidgets @ gentoo.org
31
32 47C3 6D62 4864 0E49 8E9E 7F92 ED38 BD49 957A 8463