From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Commercial" software in portage
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 01:42:54
1 On Friday 23 September 2005 06:09, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > it would be a good idea to give the user some way of knowing that a
3 > package requires some additional purchased (or otherwise obtained)
4 > portion that is not a distfile/tarball.
5
6 It would be a good idea, indeed. RESTRICT="purchase" or somesuch parallel to
7 RESTRICT="fetch" would solve this just as well. However, whenever adding
8 new stuff like this, as a portage developer, I always ask what use of it
9 can be made by portage? I can't see anything other than passing the
10 information to a user interface to blink some text at the user...
11
12 Overloading RESTRICT="fetch" to include this case seems like the best method
13 to me. Really, what's the difference between fetch-restricted and "purchase
14 -restricted"? From a portage point of view, they both require the user to
15 dance through some hoops before getting access and there's not really any
16 important difference beyond that.
17
18 So, if RESTRICT="fetch" were to be overloaded, there is the issue of both
19 fetch-restricted and non-fetch-restricted downloads in the one package. I
20 would think this issue exists already for some packages. How is it dealt
21 with at the moment?
24 Jason Stubbs