From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] DIGESTS metadata variable for cache validation
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 00:06:47
1 On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 15:56:18 -0800
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3 > If the package manager is not able to validate a cache entry that
4 > has been generated for an unsupported EAPI, then it will be forced
5 > to regenerate the metadata in order to check whether or not the EAPI
6 > has changed (example given 2 emails ago). Don't you agree that it
7 > would be useful to be able to avoid metadata generation in cases
8 > like this, if possible?
9
10 Well... The solution you give only *sometimes* avoids it, so it's only
11 worth it if we expect that most EAPI changes won't mess around with
12 inheriting at all. And given that we probably want per-cat/pkg
13 eclasses...
14
15 It only comes into its own if you expect there to be a long time
16 between an EAPI being used in the tree and an EAPI being supported by a
17 package manager. And even then, it's probably easier to just do a minor
18 stable release straight away with rules for "don't know how to use this
19 EAPI, but do know how to read metadata cache entries for it" whilst
20 keeping new EAPI support for the next major release.
21
22 Honestly, I don't think it'll be useful often enough that it's worth
23 the added ick.
26 Ciaran McCreesh