From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] berkdb and gdbm in global USE defaults
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 18:40:49
1 On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 8:22 AM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 2:54 AM, Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Then there is no need to think about what is enabled globally or not.
4 >> Point being, use REQUIRED_USE sparingly, and rarely a good idea to
5 >> block things with common global USE flags, or demand a local USE flag
6 >> based on a default enabled global USE flag without locally USE
7 >> defaulting that global flag too - and other such cases.
8 >
9 > I didn't really mean for this to turn into a thread about the merits
10 > of REQUIRED_USE; in hindsight I should have left out that first
11 > sentence.
12 >
13 > Regardless of the REQUIRED_USE discussion, I don't think it makes
14 > sense to have berkdb and gdbm in USE in make.defaults. I would like to
15 > move them to IUSE defaults or package.use if necessary.
16
17 I think you should feel free to proceed with such a change.
18
19 FWIW, disabling these USE flags (and fortran) are among the first
20 changes I made to a new make.conf.