From: Bjorn Sodergren <sweede@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Migrating to a commercial PHP-based forums package for forums.gentoo.org
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:57:44
1 Open Source/GPL , free meaning no $$ needed, or gotta-pay for it, it doesn't
2 matter as long as the tool you're using is the right tool for the job.
3
4 If you insist on using the wrong tools ONLY because you think it is
5 un-ethical to use non-free software, you should reconsider your priorities.
6
7 After all, if you had to rent a specific tool (i.e. ball-joint splitter) to
8 work on your car, or use what common tools (i.e. a hammer) you have laying
9 around your house, what would you do ?
13 > Another option is to migrate to an alternate forums package.
14 > Specifically, vBulletin, which has proven to be quite
15 > scalable and effective with larger sites. The main drawback
16 > to this is the fact that it is a commercial software package,
17 > which tends to raise the ire of some of the more zealous GNU
18 > folks out there.
19 >
20 > So, my question to you is, how would you feel if we were to
21 > do this? Horribly offended? Saddened because there isn't a
22 > GPL'd program to meet our needs, but pragmatic about the need
23 > to do *something*? Or C, none of the above?
24 >
25 > Basically, the choice comes down to one of two things:
26 >
27 > 1) Lose some older posts and stay on a GPL-compatible package
28 > 2) Move to a commercial solution and keep all the posts.
29 >
30 > Note that vBulletin *is* open source in that you have access
31 > to the source code and can modify it. It's just not Free.
32 >
33 > Finally, to keep this process somewhat manageably, I ask that
34 > you make your responses on the forums. I've also set up a
35 > poll there so we can vote on what should be done. I will
36 > likely limit my responses to that discussion.
37 >
38 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=554174
39
40 --kurt