From: "Derek J. Belrose" <derek@×××××××××.com>
To: brd@××××××××××××××.edu
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GUI installer
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 07:08:19
1 The only problem I see with doing this is how to represent it in a user
2 friendly, yet power user accessible fashion. Maybe if you are using
3 anaconda, you could have the power user abilities under "Amazing super
4 power user" setting :)
5
6 Grabbing the processor isn't difficult, build a small database of known
7 processors and compare it to /proc/cpuinfo.
8
9 At this point, what would you use for a install? Stage1, 2 or 3? Stage
10 3 would be the quickest in my opinion as well giving the user a really
11 good launching pad for an optimized system.
12
13 Cliff Free wrote:
14
15 >I think a GUI installer would be great if done correctly. The
16 >interface, obviously, should be easy to use, but in the spirit of
17 >Gentoo, shouldn't limit the user with what he can do. On a side note, I
18 >also think it would be cool to have the ability to detect the processor
19 >type(s) and include some optimization flags for the detected
20 >processor(s) (I also feel this feature should be able to be toggled so
21 >hard-core power-users would still have the option to fine-tune to their
22 >heart's content, and that by default the feature would be OFF. Maybee
23 >the detection system would only augment CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS in
24 >make.conf. and/or make.conf settings would override what's detected.)
25 >Just my 2 cents worth. Doing this correctly could prove to be a
26 >daunting task.
27 >