From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: AT emerge info cruft > attachments to [STABLE] bugs
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 15:35:15
1 On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:46:33 +0200
2 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I explained from the outset that this change pertains to stabilisation
5 > bugs. If you are not an arch dev, then why are you taking the opposite
6 > side in a discussion of stabilisation bugs which by their very nature
7 > only pertain to arch devs?
8
9 Well, first off you asked for comments; "RFC". If I have something to
10 say, I'll say it, even if I'm not immediately affected. You don't have
11 to agree, or even pay attention ;) That said, as I described in my
12 previous email, my concern was that if it becomes policy to attach
13 `emerge --info` instead of inline for stabilisation bugs, that policy
14 might expand to all bugs which would have a negative impact for me.
15 However if the rule is only for "pass" `emerge --info` data then I
16 don't object.
17
18 > > Another idea is for ATs to attach emerge info if the package passes
19 > > for them, but in-line it if it fails. If the package fails on one
20 > > arch for a given set of USE/FEATURES, other arches may well be
21 > > interested to check if the failure also affects them.
22 >
23 > If it fails, the AT should open a separate bug and make the
24 > stabilisation bug depend on it.
25
26 Good point.
27
28 > You said so yourself:
29 >
30 > "Stabilisation bugs shouldn't be doing problem resolution; if a bug is
31 > found during stabilisation testing it should be raised as a normal bug
32 > and set as a dependency of the stabilisation bug."
33 >
34 > I absolutely agree with this. I assume now that you agree with me that
35 > debugging info, including `emerge info`, should *never* be inlined in,
36 > or even attached to, stabilisation bugs.
37
38 Yes.
41 Kevin F. Quinn