From: "D. Tuinstra" <tuinstra@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Readme files for portage (was: A nice idea to improve portage)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:17:05
1 Michael Cummings wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 11:37:02AM +0100, MooktaKiNG wrote:
4 >> Another good reason to have a README is becuase sometimes people
5 >> want to know more about a program. Without having to install it.
6 >>
7 >> If they can learn about the program before they install. They are
8 >> more aware of how hard/easy the installtion is.
9 >
10 > I thought that was one of the reasons the source URL shows up in a
11 > search. It's how I've always checked to see what a package does.
12 > README files, imo, are great in theory but put additional
13 > maintenance strain on a dev. Just my two euros,
14 >
15 > Mike
16
17 As I see the original proposal, it was to give users essential
18 post-install information regarding any further steps they need to
19 take. This kind of information is different from pre-emerge info
20 that a user uses to decide the desirability of a package.
21
22 Pre-emerge info
23 ---------------
24 Still, a small README could be valuable in some situations. For
25 example: "This package is included in portage for backwards
26 compatability for systems that have to interoperate with
27 MegaCruft's General Ledger FPS. If you don't have to do this you
28 may wish to consider <KDE-alternate> or <GNOME-alternate>. They
29 provide the same features within a modern UI, don't hog the CPU,
30 and don't require you to do manual post-emerge steps. And BTW, the
31 official site is a pathetic mass of marketing-speak, go to the
32 user-group page at <URL> instead." This shouldn't be too much of a
33 dev burden if it's optional and intended to communicate info that
34 wouldn't be found on an official web page.
35
36 A pre-emerge README feature runs the risk of encouraging
37 editorializing (as above :-), but hey, as long as its kept
38 reasonable that's part of the fun.
39
40 Post-emerge info
41 ----------------
42 I'm all for it. My wish list: append each package's message to a
43 file named something like "emerge_messages_<timestamp>". These
44 would be stored in a standard location relative to the user running
45 emerge. At the end of the emerge, if the file is empty portage
46 deletes it and no mention is made of it. If the file is nonempty,
47 portage displays a standard message directing the user to read it.
48
49 Two new emerge commands: 'einfomsg' to write a string to the message
50 file; 'einfocat' to cat a file to it.
51
52 Messages written to the file should be no more than ~25 lines of
53 text each, with some standard header (e.g., line of dashes, ebuild
54 name, line of dashes). If 25 lines isn't enough room, the message
55 should direct the user to more instructions in
56 /usr/share/doc/<package>.
57
58 --Dwight Tuinstra
64 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list