From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC pre-GLEP] Gentoo Git Workflow
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 22:51:00
1 On wto, 2017-07-25 at 18:46 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 6:30 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On wto, 2017-07-25 at 18:26 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > > On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 4:29 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
5 > > > > On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > > > On 07/25/2017 09:23 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
7 > > > > > >
8 > > > > > > How is that relevant? Revision bumps are merely a tool to encourage
9 > > > > > > 'automatic' rebuilds of packages during @world upgrade. I can't think of
10 > > > > > > a single use case where somebody would actually think it sane to
11 > > > > > > checkout one commit after another, and run @world upgrade in the middle
12 > > > > > > of it.
13 > > > > > >
14 > > > > >
15 > > > > > Revisions are to indicate that one incarnation of a package differs from
16 > > > > > another in a way that the user or package manager might care about. And
17 > > > > > on principal, it's no business of yours what people want to do with
18 > > > > > their tree. If someone wants to check out successive commits and emerge
19 > > > > > @world, he's within his rights to do so.
20 > > > >
21 > > > > I don't feel I should be obligated by policy to support this use case.
22 > > > > One revbump per push seems sufficiently safe for 99.9% of users.
23 > > > >
24 > > > > If you want to do more revbumps, you are free to do so.
25 > > > >
26 > > >
27 > > > What is the point of separating changes by commits if we don't
28 > > > generally try to keep each commit working?
29 > > >
30 > > > Sure, there are some cases where it is just going to be too painful to
31 > > > ensure that, and so it doesn't have to be an absolute rule.
32 > > >
33 > > > However, if somebody is checking out a tree at some point in the past
34 > > > they shouldn't have to try to figure out where the last push boundary
35 > > > was to ensure that it is sane. Use cases for that include updating
36 > > > older systems progressively, or bisecting a problem.
37 > >
38 > > Guys, please cut this FUD.
39 > >
40 > > Nothing is broken if you don't revbump. The only thing that doesn't
41 > > happen is that the PM isn't obliged to suggest user to upgrade.
44 > I wasn't referring to revbumps. Just to ensuring that all commits
45 > generally work even if they aren't pushed.
48 In that case, it is explicitly listed as the third rule for splitting.
51 Best regards,
52 Michał Górny