From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP56] USE flag descriptions in metadata
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 19:03:56
1 Doug Goldstein kirjoitti:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > Here's a GLEP for the addition of USE flag descriptions to package
5 > metadata. It does not address any future ideas that others may have had
6 > or suggested. It merely gives developers the necessary "tools" to
7 > document their USE flag usage it better detail on a per package basis.
8 >
9 > An clearly motivation explanation that I didn't add, which I'm going to
10 > add once I send this is the fact that as per the QA Project,
11 > use.local.desc can not contain a USE flag that already appears globally
12 > in use.desc. This would allow a description for that USE flag to be
13 > contained in the metadata.
14 >
15 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0056.html
16 >
17 > I encourage any and all _technical_ feedback.
18 >
19 > Thanks.
20
21 As asked in the last council meeting here are my thoughts.
22
23 1. Rather than linking to the PMS repo it should refer to the devmanual
24 on CPV http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/file-format/index.html
25
26 2. "Each <flag> XML tag requires a 'name' attribute which is the full
27 USE flag name as it would appear in the IUSE section of the ebuild."
28
29 Shouldn't this rather be as it appears. If the use flag is not used in
30 all versions I would rather see that the
31
32 3. It should clarify the meaning of the pkg and cat tags as links to
33 other places in the tree. IMHO it doesn't hurt to be explicit.
34
35 Regards,
36 Petteri