From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc 0.12 - netifrc/newnet mix-up
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 01:57:09
1 On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 07:17:45PM -0500, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On 12/05/2013 05:30 AM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
4 > >> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
5 > >>> On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 06:46:36PM +0200, Samuli Suominen wrote:
6 > >>>> seems like a virtual that wouldn't do anything useful except pull in
7 > >>>> random package(s) a la binary-distribution style
8 > >>>
9 > >>> What about the stages? Don't we need some form of net support in
10 > >>> stage 3?
11 > >>>
12 > >>
13 > >> That's debatable. For a typical install, the user has to install other
14 > >> basic stuff like a boot loader, kernel, etc. So having them also
15 > >> select a network config framework seems logical.
16 > >>
17 > >> Is there a use case for a stage3 in which installing netifrc by hand
18 > >> is impractical?
19 > >>
20 > > Well ...
21 > >
22 > > I remember filing a bug quite a while ago because we didn't have a dhcp
23 > > client included anymore. This made installs quite annoying because
24 > > before it was stage3, kernel, bootloader, go!
25 > >
26 > > And now it was go ... stop ... reboot ... install dhcp client ...
27 > > grremblwrrxrmkrxtlmrrrg .... reboot
28 > >
29 > > That extra step of whining was loud enough to have openrc fixed to be
30 > > able to use busybox udhcp, so that "out of the box" most network worked.
31 > >
32 > > ... and now people are trying to do the same again.
33 > >
34 > > I would STRONGLY recommend having a working network setup included in
35 > > stage3, so that compared to now nothing changes.
39 > Yeah, after some further thought, I'm inclined to agree.
40
41 I think we would be safe as long as we make sure to document in the
42 handbook that users must choose a network manager. We could recommend
43 netifrc by default for now until we can document how to set up the
44 others.
45
46 Once all of this hits stable I want to work with releng to get them
47 to use standalone dhcpcd on the LiveCD.
48
49 What do you think?
50
51 William