From: Brian Harring <bdharring@××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] etc-update
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 10:02:56
While I'm on an emailing spree, anyone got any ideas on how to make etc-update
a bit less painful?
It seems like a lot of the times where etc-update requires user intervention
it's fairly minor- case in point, make.conf, when the default/base-layout
make.conf gets updated.  It seems like it usually chokes on configured
options, features or gentoo_mirrors as an example.

What if we were to either A) maintain a listing of default conf files (when
modifying/adding a conf file, make.conf again, store it somewhere), or B)
pull the conf from the distfile in some way?  The reason I ask is it strikes
me if etc-update where able to compare the old default conf against the
current conf it might be able to create a diff it could use to patch against
the new one.  A bit wordy, but basically I'm wondering if we could isolate
the changes a user has made, and attempt to merge those changes into the new
conf file via a diff.
The problem I see with this would be that where (say GENTOO_MIRRORS) gets
updated to some new default setting, the generated diff wouldn't be able to
match against the new conf.