From: Brian Harring <bdharring@××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] etc-update
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 10:02:56
1 While I'm on an emailing spree, anyone got any ideas on how to make etc-update
2 a bit less painful?
3 It seems like a lot of the times where etc-update requires user intervention
4 it's fairly minor- case in point, make.conf, when the default/base-layout
5 make.conf gets updated. It seems like it usually chokes on configured
6 options, features or gentoo_mirrors as an example.
7
8 What if we were to either A) maintain a listing of default conf files (when
9 modifying/adding a conf file, make.conf again, store it somewhere), or B)
10 pull the conf from the distfile in some way? The reason I ask is it strikes
11 me if etc-update where able to compare the old default conf against the
12 current conf it might be able to create a diff it could use to patch against
13 the new one. A bit wordy, but basically I'm wondering if we could isolate
14 the changes a user has made, and attempt to merge those changes into the new
15 conf file via a diff.
16 The problem I see with this would be that where (say GENTOO_MIRRORS) gets
17 updated to some new default setting, the generated diff wouldn't be able to
18 match against the new conf.
19 Thoughts?
20 ~harring
21 bdharring@××××.edu