From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: agriffis@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] summary: proposed solutions to arches/stable problem
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:54:09
1 Aron Griffis said:
2 > The only thing I really dislike about the "marked keyword"
3 > approach is that it requires changes in the *user's* portage to
4 > handle the marking. But only solutions III and IV avoid that so
5 > far.
6
7 This is really a pretty annoying problem. As far as I can see, it would
8 require some hacking backwards compatibility fake profiles to exist at
9 "default-+x86-1.4" and so forth to avoid breaking everyone's systems with
10 old portages.
11
12 Another option would be to avoid the KEYWORDS variable entirely and use a
13 new variable. This would avoid the annoying problem of backwards
14 compatibility and user change.
15
16 Examples:
17
18 Option 1:
19 MAINTAINER_ARCHS="x86 sparc"
20 This indicates that if either of these are stable, the PM(s) consider(s)
21 the package stable.
22
23 Option 2:
24 STABLE="yes"
25 STABLE="no"
26 This is pretty straightforward, so I won't go in depth here.
27
28 Thanks,
29 Donnie
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list