From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: m h <sesquile@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] When will KDE 3.5 be marked as stable?
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 21:11:32
1 On Tuesday 04 April 2006 19:04, m h wrote:
2 > I'm the OT. So I apologize to all devs whose precious time I have
3 > wasted. This post has probably now consumed about 10x as much time as
4 > it should've by now. I totally realize that it is probably super
5 > annoying to get requests for bumping to stable. And it wasn't my
6 > intention at all to put pressure on anyone to bump KDE. I was only
7 > curious as to what was holding it up.
8
9 You didn't waste time at all. While your question might have been rather
10 concise I found it topical enough, and proper. The one wasting our time is
11 Stephen P. Becker by behaving a gentoo developer unworthy, and being called
12 upon that. He's also forgetting that while one could try asking it at
13 gentoo-user, the chances of getting an answer from the developers are very
14 thin.
17 > That was my bad for phrasing my question in such a sort manner (not
18 > following the "howto ask smart questions" protocol). I figured since,
19 > I'm seeing posts about 2.6.16 going stable in "2-3 weeks" and
20 > questions about firefox 1.5, then KDE would be kosher as well (since
21 > it is arguable on of the most important apps on the linux desktop).
22 >
23 > > >> I would like to point out that it was you who flamed me for apparently
24 > > >> saying RTFM, when in fact if you read my original email, I did nothing
25 > > >> of the sort.
26 > > >
27 > > > You gave a logical RTFM. You're being literal with words when the
28 > > > meaning of what you said should be fairly clear. You didn't want to
29 > > > answer the question, so you flamed the person who asked instead of
30 > > > answering or defering to a more helpful individual.
31 > >
32 > > Not really. I should have actually pointed out that there is no (good)
33 > > place for such queries originally, but I was doing about 10 things at
34 > > once, and just sent the typical "don't send offtopic stuff to the
35 > > gentoo-dev list" reply. Look back through the archives...this is pretty
36 > > standard.
37 > >
38 > > >> I merely pointed out what should have been clear to anyone
39 > > >> that signed up for this list, that it is not for whining about arch
40 > > >> keywording.
41 > > >
42 > > > Not everyone is like you. There are all sorts of different people out
43 > > > there who process information in a lot of different ways. Without a
44 > > > stated correct place for asking questions about keywording, it wouldn't
45 > > > be hard to rationalise that the proper place is the dev mailing list.
46 > >
47 > > Except that it isn't the proper place. It is for discussion of
48 > > technical matters concerning the development of Gentoo. The closest
49 > > place that might be sort of on-topic is the gentoo-desktop list, but I
50 > > generally don't recommend that list because it seems like nobody bothers
51 > > to answer questions there for the most part. I think the problem is
52 > > that the RightPeople(TM) (meaning all the members of the teams for each
53 > > desktop herd) probably aren't subscribed there.
54 >
55 > Sorry I'm not on the desktop list and since I was seeing other posts
56 > about marking the kernel and firefox as stable, I figured kde fit in
57 > as well. My bad. One solution to naggers like me may be to have
58 > dedicated per package wiki/homepages where a status is shown (much
59 > like Trac releases). Or at least link to pending bugs. Though I
60 > realize that this is probably just more overhead for devs who are
61 > already too busy and would rather just code.
62 >
63 > > > You say it should be obvious like it's fact. Not everything is obvious
64 > > > to everyone--Not everyone is a Steve or Stephanie. They may interpret
65 > > > conveyed information in different ways and the ambiguity does not help
66 > > > at all.
67 > >
68 > > It should be obvious to anybody who bothered to read the description for
69 > > this mailing list before signing up. I can't fix ignorance.
70 >
71 > Thanks for the compliment ;)
72 > "General Gentoo developer discussion mailing list" is the
73 > description... I guess my post was not general enough. ;)
74
75 You are right, the list is about the development of gentoo. Asking what the
76 reasons are why kde is not stabilized yet (while it used to be really fast)
77 is totally relevant to that. The list is intentionally not developer only. It
78 is a place for the interaction between developers and advanced users on what
79 happens in gentoo. It's not for flames ;-).
80
81 Paul
84 Paul de Vrieze
85 Gentoo Developer