From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] More info than DESCRIPTION
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:41:39
1 On Friday 20 June 2003 01:49, Alastair Tse wrote:
2 > We had this discussion on gentoo-dev exactly a month ago, but as far as
3 > I know it didn't come to anything conclusive. The messages are in marc,
4 > although it is not the world's best mailing list archive, you can get
5 > the gist of the discussion:
6 >
7 > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-dev&w=2&r=1&s=horrible+package+descr
8 >iptions&q=b
9 >
10 > I believe Seemant was suggesting some integration with freshmeat's
11 > database using something called pdsst (?). We just need some mapping
12 > from gentoo package name to freshmeat package name, and then some way to
13 > fill in the void. Although all talk no code makes my point rather
14 > ineffective. So I'll shut up :)
17 The possibility of long descriptions was added to the proposed metadata
18 format, which also will contain the maintainers and herds of a package. Also
19 the proposal moves the changelog to this metadata file. Unfortunately not
20 many people seem interested in it.
21
22 Paul
23