From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package file name requirement for binary ebuilds
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 17:35:19
1 On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 12:18:32 -0400
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Monday, October 17, 2016 6:08:41 PM EDT Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 11:48:53 -0400
6 > >
7 > > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
8 > > > On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 4:18:51 AM EDT Kent Fredric wrote:
9 > > > > There's a lot of "but what if you care!??!" things, perhaps this may be
10 > > > > an important one to you, but some people care a lot about LICENSE and
11 > > > > some people just don't.
12 > > >
13 > > > Yes, and some care about what repo it comes from. Which is why portage now
14 > > > shows you what repo it comes from as part of merge output. This is really
15 > > > no different.
16 > >
17 > > No.
18 > >
19 > > Portage shows the repo it comes from because it is necessary for
20 > > the package specification to be unique, i.e. two repositories can
21 > > provide the same version of the same package.
22 >
23 > It does not have to show it for that function. Showing the repo is a visual
24 > thing for the user during merge output. Portage does not have to have ANY
25 > output to do its job. Visual output is a user thing.
26
27 Excuse me but what is your goal here? I stated the rationale for that
28 particular change. Your disagreement won't change why it was done.
29
30 I know that some Gentoo developers find that very hard to comprehend
31 but in most of the cases, the people directly involved in it happen to
32 know the rationale. Rationale is *why X did Y*, not *why I think that X
33 did Y, as long as it contradicts what X says*.
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny
38 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>