From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] blocking mixed versions of split QT libraries
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 14:22:05
1 On Mon, 18 May 2009 13:04:27 +0300
2 Alex Alexander <alex.alexander@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Unfortunately we've got reports from paludis users stating that they
4 > can't update QT from qting-edge anymore.
5
6 Paludis treats blocks as strong, the way Portage used to and the way
7 PMS defined them until we had to retroactively change it to allow
8 Portage's newer behaviour...
9
10 > 1) Is there a saner way to achieve our goal of doing whatever is
11 > possible to avoid mixed QT versions?
12
13 Not really. There's no particularly good mechanism for ensuring equal
14 versions of things where not everything has to be installed. The best
15 option I can think of is to have a meta package called, say, split-qt,
16 and to do all your external (not inter-qt-library) dependencies as:
17
18 x11-libs/split-qt[gui][xmlpatterns]
19
20 and then have x11-libs/split-qt's deps be like:
21
22 gui? ( ~x11-libs/qt-gui-${PV} )
23
24 > 2) Is our implementation considered correct and acceptable by the PMS
25 > guys?
26
27 The way PMS defines blockers has been rewritten to allow both what
28 Portage used to do and what Portage now does. It's fairly horrible, but
29 unfortunately Zac changed Portage's behaviour (breaking anything that
30 relied upon strong blockers, hence the quickly-hacked-in !! blocker
31 hack) without EAPI control.
34 Ciaran McCreesh