From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy regarding enablement of drop-in configuration files
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 19:21:06
1 On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > - Do we have a policy regarding enablement of drop-in config files?
4 > - If so, what is it? Where is it documented?
5 > - If not, do we need a policy and what should it be?
6 > - Keep in mind that any policy needs to be technically feasible to implement.
9 I have no idea if one is documented, but I think the best we're going
10 to do is set up some principles (the usual Gentoo stuff) and leave it
11 to maintainer discretion. I don't see how anything else will ever
12 work.
13
14 For example, you point out that we generally don't enable init.d
15 scripts, but that isn't true for a lot of the stuff that is needed to
16 boot the system. Maybe we don't enable lvm by default, but stuff like
17 procfs or sysctl is always on out of the box, and it just wouldn't
18 make sense not to do it that way (this isn't Linux From Scratch).
19
20 Of course, we should always allow users to override the defaults
21 either way, enabling stuff or disabling stuff as they please. If one
22 way of setting things up makes it easier for users to tweak things
23 then that should be a consideration. So should be aligning with
24 upstream.
25
26 Basically, policy shouldn't be an excuse for doing something dumb.
29 Rich