From: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Requiring gentoo.git committers to use their @gentoo.org address
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2018 15:13:39
1 On Mon, 2018-07-09 at 10:40 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > We currently don't enforce any particular standard for e-mail
5 > addresses
6 > for developers committing to gentoo.git. FWICS, the majority of
7 > developers is using their @gentoo.org e-mail addresses. However, a
8 > few
9 > developers are using some other addresses.
10 >
11 > Using non-@g.o e-mail addresses generally causes problems
12 > in accounting for commits. For example, our retirement scripts can't
13 > detect commits made using non-Gentoo e-mail address. My dev-timeline
14 > scripts [1] account for all emails in LDAP (which doesn't cover all
15 > addresses developers use). FWIK gkeys accounts for all addresses
16 > in the OpenPGP key UIDs. In my opinion, that's a lot of hoops to
17 > jump
18 > through to workaround bad practice.
19 >
20 > Therefore, I'd like to start enforcing (at the level of the hook
21 > verifying signatures) that all commits made to gentoo.git (and other
22 > repositories requiring dev signatures) are made using @gentoo.org e-
23 > mail
24 > address (for committer field).
25 >
26 > Is anyone opposed to that? Does anyone know of a valid reason to use
27 > non-@g.o address when committing?
28 >
29 > [1]:https://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/dev-timeline.html
32 +1