From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Documentation Project Status Update
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:17:31
1 [ Sorry for the crosspost, I should've sent this to -dev immediately ]
2
3 This is the status of the Gentoo Documentation Project. It will be posted
4 regularly, but not with a static frequency. All questions can be posted to
5 gentoo-doc@g.o or to me personally.
6
7 The Gentoo Documentation Project, from now on abbreviated to GDP, has its own
8 project page (just like almost all other Gentoo projects). You can find it at
9 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gdp.
10
11 This status mail will briefly discuss the following tasks, objectives and/or
12 projects related to the GDP:
13 - Gentoo Handbook
14 - PDF documentation
15 - Non-gdp documentation
16 - Packaged documentation
17 - New supported languages
18
19 ** Gentoo Handbook
20
21 The first part of the Gentoo Handbook (Installing Gentoo) is finished and
22 should be production ready. It is available online [1] and contains the
23 installation instructions for almost all supported architectures (x86, ppc,
24 sparc, hppa, alpha). I hope to extend it with the other architectures that are
25 lurking (amd64, ia64, mips) when I receive more information about those.
26
27 I will start with designing the second part pretty soon now. This part should
28 contain the Gentoo-specific items for administering your system (Portage,
29 initscripts, conf.d/env.d)
30
31 ** PDF documentation
32
33 Using FOP gives us the best results and can be perfectly integrated with our
34 current GuideXML format (as it uses an XML format itself, XML-FO). The
35 resulting transformation of our x86 installation guide can be found at my
36 dev-page [2].
37
38 I am now working on a script to have the transformation (GuideXML -> PDF) done
39 on the server-level so that everything can be automated.
40
41 ** Non-GDP documentation
42
43 We have started with the cluster project documentation and are integrating it
44 in our documentation tree. Other documentation (and projects) should follow
45 soon.
46
47 ** Packaged documentation
48
49 After a discussion [3] we came to the agreement that it is not beneficial to
50 provide a package for our documentation. If a user wants the Gentoo
51 documentation somewhere on his disk, (s)he should use wget, like this:
52 wget --recursive --level=1 1 --no-parent --page-requisites --convert-link \
53 --no-host-directories --html-extension \
54 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml
55
56 ** New supported languages
57
58 The Danish language is now an officially supported language, and the Greek
59 language volunteers have stepped up and are "in training".
62 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook.xml
63 [2] http://emu.gentoo.org/~swift/gentoo-x86-install.pdf
64 [3] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.documentation/619
68 ^__^ And Larry saw that it was Good.