From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changes made by acct-* ebuilds
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 03:37:24
1 On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 6:24 PM Michael 'veremitz' Everitt <
2 gentoo@×××××××.xyz> wrote:
3
4 > On 13/02/20 16:17, Mike Gilbert wrote:
5 > > On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 8:32 PM Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 > >> In short: It was a very bad decision that acct-* stuff is *changing*
8 > >> existing stuff. This must be turned of *by default*. Maybe provide a
9 > >> setting a user can put into make.conf to opt into current, still new,
10 > >> behavior but by default, a package should never ever make changes to
11 > >> *existing* user (unless it knows for sure it was the only source
12 > >> creating that user and nothing was changed since creation which isn't
13 > >> easy to track).
14 > > I think it would make sense to add some eclass variables that would
15 > > turn user.eclass functions into no-ops.
16 > >
17 > > I don't agree that this should be happen by default. I suspect the
18 > > majority of users do not wish to manage system users/groups
19 > > themselves.
20 > >
21 > I would suggest anyone competent enough to build a kernel from scratch
22 > (genkernel users, I'm ignoring you) should be equally at-home managing
23 > system users and groups and associated permissions? Or am I perhaps
24 > overestimating the average Genbuntu users here ... >,<
25 >
26 > I said nothing of capability. Most people don’t care to micromanage
27 > accounts.