From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] heads up about www.us.kernel.org rotation
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 02:17:19
1 All --
2
3 www.us.kernel.org has too many entries in their round-robin rotation at the
4 moment. This causes DNS to spill over to TCP because the max packet size
5 for UDP is exceeded. This is part of the RFC spec and is perfectly valid,
6 but anyone who blocks outbound TCP 53 is going to have problems resolving
7 this. You can see the problem on a blocked machine by doing the following:
8
9 eagle root # host www.us.kernel.org
10 ;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.
11 ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
12
13 I mention this because we may get bug reports regarding users trying to
14 emerge man-pages or some kernel source that depends on this rotation.
15 Their emerge will fail and they may blame us for it.
16
17 --kurt