From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: multiple inheritance support for profiles
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 01:24:06
1 On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 01:24:49PM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > Currently, portage only allows single inheritance in profiles, but
5 > it's easy to enable multiple inheritance. In order to do this, we
6 > only need to unconstrain the number of parents allowed in the parent
7 > file (only 1 is currently allowed). When a parent file contains
8 > multiple parents, parents listed later if the file will have the
9 > ability to override those listed earlier in the file.
10 >
11 > Multiple inheritance seems like it would add useful flexibility to
12 > the profile structure.
13
14 Unfortunately, portages long time handling of N parents sucks.
15
16 > Should we remove the single inheritance
17 > constraint and allow multiple inheritance?
18
19 Said single inheritance protection was added 06/05/06 (rev 3544),
20 stabled for x86 roughly 06/22/06.
21
22 Hasn't even yet made it to a release media- meaning folk installing
23 from the most current release media still can get bit in the ass by
24 switching to an N parent from the get go.
25
26 So... basic question is how this is actually going to protect users
27 from stumbling into it?
28
29 There *are* a lot of folk who let things linger, and 2.1 (not 2.1.1
30 holding said rev) held the major reason to upgrade, 2.1.1 being just
31 bug fixups. Point I'm trying to get across here is that there are
32 still going to be a fair chunk of folk lacking the protection; combine
33 that with the long standing capability to nag users to upgrade their
34 profiles, and you've got the core reason this support isn't already in
35 portage- if a user upgrades without the protection, they wind up with
36 only half of the profile (best case).
37
38 Move forward with it, but even if support exists, it still must sit
39 for long enough to avoid screwing over anyone but the biggest
40 slackers- this would include ensuring that the appropriate portage dep
41 is in both branches; do that, and you've minimized it as much as
42 possible.
43
44 So... what's the plan in that regard?
45 ~harring