From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] virtual/ffmpeg and media-video/libav
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:25:39
1 On 11:10 Wed 23 Mar , Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
3 > > When reading about the "fork" awhile back, I assumed that ffmpeg would die
4 > > and libav would continue in its place. Do we really need a virtual for
5 > > this??
6 >
7 > might as well hedge our bets. it'd really suck if we threw all our
8 > eggs into libav just to have to crash, or for it to move back to
9 > ffmpeg.
10
11 Indeed, this is the same thing we did back in the XFree86/X.Org split. I
12 think x11-base/xfree stuck around for another year or so before we
13 decided it was definitely a zombie and burned it to a crisp.
16 Thanks,
17 Donnie
18
19 Donnie Berkholz