From: Eugenia Loli-Queru <eloli@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LibPNG Problems :(
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 19:12:48
1 >Now, could you conclude your trollish rant and show me -where- does X link
2 >to libpng?
3
4 I never said that X links to it. I just said that I hope that it won't need
5 to rebuilt X as well, because I did so just yesterday. I am not an X expert,
6 *neither* I care what links against. I just don't want to go again through
7 the pain of long compilations. I did that 2 weeks ago and did so yesterday.
8 No more, thank you. I need my PC to work, not to view gcc and make working
9 their butt off all day *and night* as it did for these two installations.
10
11 Problem is, I never asked for this new incompatible version of libPNG. You
12 are missing the point. This new version was suddenly emerged as part of the
13 (I would assume...) --update world and has messed up my whole system. I
14 never asked for such a mess, I just asked for an upgrade.
15
16 If these two libs were incompatible and create such problems, they should
17 not have been allowed to be part of an ebuild. If this was a full
18 installation of Gentoo 1.1a, that is ok, because all of gentoo will be
19 linked against a certain version of libs. But I had 1.0 and when I tried to
20 udpate world, the whole thing went to hell and now I am left with half apps
21 that work and half that don't (plus libGL.so does not work either now :P).
22 As for that script that I need to run, it does not really fixed anything. As
23 I said, rebuilding the mess that the new libpng created, is not an option.
24
25 I would expect more testing to be done before releasing all these ebuilds to
26 the users or have a more intelligent portage somehow to be able to avoid dll
27 hell.
28
29 As the other person very well said just an hour ago:
30 "Right now, installing a particular Gentoo release is like nailing jelly to
31 a wall...."
32
33 I would expect a 1.0 release to be really 1.0 and to know that it works and
34 that it won't put my installation in such state by emerging a game or a qt
35 2.x app. I need a system that I can trust. That's all.
36
37 Thank you,
38 Eugenia
43 .
44
46 Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail.
47 http://www.hotmail.com