From: Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Modular X plans
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 01:16:17
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 19:23:37 -0400 Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
6 > wrote:
7 > | > Hrmmmmm. Is this going to be sanely doable by your average dev? How
8 > | > long a dep string would we be having in typical cases? How about in
9 > | > bad cases?
10 > | >
11 > | The more formal the depstring, the quicker the packages build (
12 > | using
13 > | only needed packages instead of lumping them in one group ). This is
14 > | essentially what the DEPEND should be, just what the packages needs to
15 > | compile and run. This especially benefits embedded targets who need a
16 > | bare-bones set of libraries and nothing else.
17 >
18 > The problem is... By hard-coding a bunch of xorg packages, you're making
19 > your DEPEND *less* accurate. Most packages will build just fine with
20 > other X implementations.
21 [1] Yes but at present we have only 1 provider of X11 in the tree
22 (xorg). If we were to make a bunch of virtuals (concepts if you will),
23 then all packages should/will work fine with xorg, because they are all
24 tested with xorg. Then all of a sudden a new X server comes out, call
25 it Foo. So we add Foo to our virtual/concept and things break...because
26 no one has tested every package with Foo, it's only been tested with xorg.
29 > Providing a specific metapackage is a bad idea. What if a package really
30 > does depend upon xorg? Providing a specific concept would be better.
31 > Whether such a thing is implementable currently is up for debate...
32 >
33 [2] Virtuals are basically concepts, things are only added to
34 virtual/mta fex, when they fulfill the concept and real-world
35 requirements of mta. As long as one can define exactly what the
36 real-world requirements of each x11 concept is, then it shouldn't be a
37 problem. Mostly this is a discussion with x11 geeks about the standard.
38
39 To sum up the two pieces of the above. In order to prevent [1] we need
40 to come up with an agreement on what constitutes each concept/virtual
41 [2]. Virtual/x11 was originally for xfree/xorg migration, but I don't
42 believe that there is any kind of agreed upon requirement set for a
43 package to be added to virtual/x11. A quick grep of the tree shows 2115
44 ebuilds DEPEND on x11, which is a lot of ebuilds to do QA on for any new
45 x11 provider. Most other virtuals adhere to a simple binary interface
46 ( call sendmail, mail is sent), as opposed to X11's library based
47 interface (although it has binaries as well.)
48
67 --
68 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list