From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: I want to steal your tools
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 21:59:55
1 Ryan Hill wrote:
2
3 > Can someone provide a tool that given a package name simply prints the
4 > category or cat/pkg, or if ambiguous, prints the multiple cat/pkgs or
5 > returns an error code? I don't care what it's written in as long as
6 > it's relatively quick. I'm sick of depending on udept (which is an
7 > incredible tool but a lot heavy for a simple shell script) just to get a
8 > simple category.
9
10 After getting a couple suggestions, I guess I forgot some requirements.
11
12 a) package-manager agnostic
13 b) using only tools in the system set + maybe gentoolkit and portage-utils
14
15 I want something that anybody can use in their scripts without having to install
16 paludis, or eix, or udept, or etc. Bonus points for actually integrating this
17 feature into gentoolkit or portage-utils. ;)
21 fonts, by design, by neglect
22 gcc-porting, for a fact or just for effect
23 wxwindows @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662