From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev and /usr
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 21:52:36
1 On Thursday, September 15, 2011 04:54:38 PM Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > It is my understanding all the options need to be specified every time
4 > > dracut
5 > > is run to create an initramfs. If this becomes mandatory, will this be
6 > > added
7 > > to the "make" script of the kernel-sources and as such, make this more
8 > > specific?
9 >
10 > There are no plans to make dracut mandatory, unless you're putting root on
11 > lvm or luks or something, and a good initramfs is already needed for that.
12 >
13 > I think /etc/dracut.conf already has just about anything you'd want to be
14 > persistent across runs.
15
16 That would be a good starting point. Having to type a lengthy commandline each
17 time I update the kernel and/or toolstack will become troublesome and problems
18 will easily occur.
19
20 Will the ebuild automatically add all the different modules into the
21 /etc/dracut.conf ?
22 Please note, I am asking these questions to put my mind at ease and hopefully
23 be able to explain all this back to the people on gentoo-user.
24
25 > > Another issue arrises where some of the tools are updated that are also
26 > > in the
27 > > initramfs. Will we then still need to remember to also update the
28 > > initramfs if
29 > > these are needed?
30 >
31 > Potentially - if the tools in the initramfs won't work. That seems unlikely
32 > though - on-disk formats don't really change much and all stuff like mdadm
33 > and lvm tools do is find stuff and pass it along to the kernel which does
34 > the real work. If you migrate your root from raid1 to raid17 and the old
35 > initramfs doesn't understand raid17 then you'll have a problem. I imagine
36 > that if you migrate to raid17, however, you'd have put some thought into
37 > this.
38
39 Migrating to raid17 (mirrored raid7, where there can be 3 failed disks per
40 raid7?) would require some thought already.
41
42 > > My server currently uses mdadm raid1 for /, /boot and swap and raid1+lvm
43 > > for
44 > > the rest. This works without the need of an initramfs.
45 > >
46 > > Will this still work? Or will I need to be using dracut instead?
47 >
48 > I suspect that if /usr is on raid1+lvm that you might need dracut. I'm not
49 > 100% sure on that, since in theory the initramfs can find all it needs on
50 > root in this case. However, the goal was to keep it simple. I'd defer to
51 > somebody actually involved with the simple image.
52
53 If this is the case, then, to me, this is a major regression. As the current
54 toolstack does not need an initramfs. All the lvm-tools are installed on / by
55 default. None of the required tools are under /usr.
58 Joost