From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Devmanual text on ChangeLogs
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 01:20:55
1 On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 5:34 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Sun, 1 May 2011, Markos Chandras wrote:
3 >
4 >> Since most ( if not all ) of us use the same message on the
5 >> Changelog and on the commit log, it probably worth the effort of
6 >> having the rsync servers create the Changelogs before populate the
7 >> portage tree.
8 >
9 > A separate ChangeLog has the advantage that entries for trivial
10 > changes can be omitted. Most people wouldn't want to read entries
11 > about comment changes, for example. Also entries can be edited, which
12 > is not possible if the ChangeLog is generated from commit messages.
15 Trivial commit messages can be omitted from the final ChangeLog very
16 easily. We just need to decide on a token to add to the commit message
17 — either [trivial] in the subject, or #trivial in the body, or similar
18
19 I don't get why someone would want to edit ChangeLogs. Could you list
20 some use-cases besides editing of typos?
23 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
24
25 Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla