From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: important fstab update
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 14:25:48
1 On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 9:59 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Neither were network device names. But now they are! As long as you
4 > predict to which USB port the dongle will be plugged ;-).
7 It would be nice if standards like USB incorporated some kind of GUID.
8 I ended up having to write a udev rule for a pl2303 RS232 adapter to
9 tie it to a specific USB port precisely so that I could have more than
10 one and know which one talked to which device.
11
12 I'd argue that the udev network interface names were a better (if
13 painful to transition to) solution to a problem created by somebody
14 else. Being able to use wildcards in configuration files is probably
15 an adequate solution for those who are using a single device.
18 Rich