From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 00:19:59
1 On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 06:38:14PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote
2
3 > It will probably be more than a decade before anybody is FORCED to run
4 > systemd on Gentoo. You don't even have to run udev on Gentoo.
5 >
6 > It will probably be years before the default even changes, assuming
7 > the trajectory of systemd remains as it seems to be.
8 >
9 > I think people are really getting carried away here. I believe the
10 > udev team generally wants to follow upstream udev, and there is eudev
11 > and busybox mdev for those who don't want that. No distro provides so
12 > many ways of avoiding systemd. I don't see that changing anytime
13 > soon.
14
15 I was replyiny to a poster who said...
16
17 > at some near point in the future, our users will be forced to replace
18 > udev/eudev with systemd. Like it. Or not.
19
20 You mentioned that it will be years before it happens. I realize
21 that this borders on the political, but if nobody objects *NOW*, in a
22 couple of years it'll happen. And the developers will say "but nobody
23 objected". You're right that the process takes time. It's precisely
24 because of that that unhappy users need to make their feelings known
25 now before it's too late.
28 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
29 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications