From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> (prometheanfire)
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: tester@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 01:11:56
1 On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 19:59:45 -0500
2 Olivier CrĂȘte <tester@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 2012-01-06 at 19:41 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
5 > > On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 01:51:26PM -0500, Olivier Cr?te wrote
6 > >
7 > > > No no no, the idea is that once all binaries are in /usr, you can
8 > > > easily share /usr between different systems and do updates in a
9 > > > sane way.. You can also mount /usr read-only, but still have / be
10 > > > read-write.
11 > >
12 > > One size does not fit all. It breaks Gentoo horribly. Here's my
13 > > setup
14 > >
15 > > waltdnes@d530 / $ du -s /usr
16 > > 3057917 usr
17 > >
18 > > waltdnes@d530 /usr $ du -s /usr/portage
19 > > 1394646 /usr/portage
20 > >
21 > > waltdnes@d530 /usr $ du -s /usr/src
22 > > 665069 /usr/src
23 > >
24 > > In my 3 gig /usr directory, over 2 gigs are devoted to
25 > > Gentoo-specific stuff that a binary distro like Redhat does not
26 > > require. What do we do if /usr is read-only? Symlink or bindmount
27 > > onto it?
28 >
29 > You don't understand the purpose of read-only /usr. It has nothing to
30 > do with source vs binary. It is for when you have many machines that
31 > are identical or at least similar.
32 >
33 > The idea is that you can mount the same /usr on many machines (using
34 > NFS or something like that). So you can have a relatively small / as
35 > a r/w nfsroot (containing /etc, /var, /tmp, etc, etc), and then
36 > share /usr among all the machines in your cluster or machine room or
37 > your many user desktops.
38 >
39 > With the current system, you either have to maintain in sync
40 > the /bin, /sbin, /usr, etc separately, making life harder for
41 > everyone.
42 >
43 > But clearly, you've never been the sysadmin of that kind of setup.
46 Not saying it's just you, but people should stop being dicks. Being
47 antagonistic against everyone is not getting us anywhere and only
48 serves to divide the community. People shouldn't use the hate in
49 dealing with whether or not to change on other people, use it on the
50 actual argument :D
53 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)