From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: switching default udev provider for new systems to udev
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2020 23:00:03
1 On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 6:48 PM Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2020.08.08 23:22, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 4:17 PM Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
5 > > wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > > With the declared aim from upstream of making udev inseparable from
8 > > > systemd, its not something to be done lightly.
9 > > > That's the entire reason that eudev was necessary.
10 > > >
11 > > > I would want some convincing that it was not another step on the
12 > > road
13 > > > to Gentoo being assimilated by systemd.
14 > >
15 > > So, I really could care less what the default is since it won't impact
16 > > any of my Gentoo hosts either way, ..
17 >
18 > I don't have a dog in this fight. Being old and cynical, I have static /dev,
19 > so I use neither.
20 >
21 > I'm interested in what's changed since the Council decision [1] to make
22 > eudev the default.
25 And you'll note that this is the one line in your post I didn't quote,
26 because it was about the only thing that you said which made sense. I
27 wasn't in any way criticizing that point, and basically asked the same
28 question myself.
31 Rich