From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PowerPC Resources at OSU
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 05:29:48
1 Hello,
2
3 There are multiple replies below.
4
5 On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Matthew Thode
6 <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
7 > I have access to it (can spin up servers and whatnot), but it doesn't
8 > sound like that's what you are looking for (needing a non-virtualized
9 > system). What specific features are you looking for?
10 >
11 > Are you looking for rack space to put a donated IBM system in or what?
12 > I'm not certian what you are looking for.
15 My apologies, I tried to be comprehensive in my original post but it
16 may have come out confused. I felt as if I did something bad and was
17 trying to make sure I told someone right away, like my parents taught
18 me.
19
20 I am looking to verify that my request for shipping reimbursement
21 could not be made superfluous. It looks like physical access to a
22 system is necessary to continue doing most of the novel things I am
23 interested in.
24
25 Firstly I want to interact with the system firmware. This may only be
26 possible with POWER8 systems. With the failure of the TALOS
27 workstation crowdfunding effort it looks like I will not be able to do
28 this soon. I intend to see what I can do to reverse engineer the
29 motherboard firmware on a donated Power6+ system if/when I receive it.
30 Secondly I wish to instrument PowerKVM and the newer PowerPC
31 hypervisor functions, specifically related to processor power
32 management, processor configuration, and memory model. The user mode
33 SIMD/decimal128 instructions are also extremely interesting. Lastly I
34 would like to run a Tinderbox targeting ppc64(le) to try to follow up
35 on some build failures I've been having.
36
37 On the systems I have access to at the moment I have been caught up in
38 prefix/RAP failures while trying to set up a development environment
39 otherwise I would have started following up on my latter interests.
40
41 A shell account on a ppc64le machine running Gentoo would likely be
42 enough. It would save me a lot of time. Otherwise I can wait until I
43 receive a donated Power6+ machine, some way or another.
44
45 > I'm on irc (as prometheanfire) if you want to talk.
48 I will try to remember that, but unfortunately I have less time to be
49 on IRC now. Setting up a bouncer is on my list and I will get to it.