From: Stuart Longland <redhatter@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] X11 on Lemote Fulong (Loongson 2E) -- 'lm2e' local USE flag RFC
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 03:25:13
1 Hi All,
2 I've been rather quiet lately, largely due to university activities
3 absorbing about 98% of my time, and other projects absorbing much of the
4 remaining 2%. But nonetheless, I'm still plodding along with testing,
5 and still intending to stick around despite the departures around me.
6
7 As people would know, Lemote were kind enough to donate two of their
8 Fulong desktop computers to enable support of Gentoo on their platform.
9 I'm pleased to announce that Gentoo works out-of-the-box for a
10 console-only system, and only needs a few small patches for X to work
11 (provided in overlays [1] and [2]).
12
13 My intention was to test these patches on SGI systems to check they
14 didn't break compatibility there before merging them into the main tree,
15 however time has beaten me and I haven't had the opportunity. With this
16 being my final semester at university, and work experience two days a
17 week, I don't expect this situation to improve.
18
19 An alternative however, I'd like to propose is the addition of a 'lm2e'
20 local USE flag to the affected ebuilds, which are:
21
22 x11-base/xorg-server
23 x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati
24 x11-libs/libdrm
25
26 It'll be unmasked in the Cobalt profiles (which the Loongson platform
27 shares), and can simply be added to the USE variable on these systems.
28 It won't affect Cobalt as I believe running an X server on those systems
29 would be a pointless exercise.
30
31 If there aren't any complaints, I'll look into getting this done
32 possibly next weekend. At the moment, zhenghe (one of the boxes here)
33 has been reformatted, I'm setting up Gentoo 2008.0 on it, so I'll be
34 testing everything as I go.
35 --
36 Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter) .'''.
37 Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer '.'` :
39 http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter :.'
40
41 I haven't lost my mind...
42 ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.
43
44 Footnotes:
45 1. My personal overlay at git://git.longlandclan.yi.org/overlay.git --
46 browseable at http://git.longlandclan.yi.org/?p=overlay.git;a=summary
47 2. Gentoo CN overlay at http://www.gentoo-cn.org/gitweb/?p=loongson