From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libpcre.so.3 - Compatibility with Debian
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 06:06:41
1 On 08/11/2016 06:19 PM, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
2 > Ühel kenal päeval, N, 11.08.2016 kell 18:00, kirjutas Mike Gilbert:
3 >> On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 5:34 PM, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
4 >> wrote:
5 >>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 16:07:27 -0400
6 >>> Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> but realistically this should be
9 >>>> installed to /usr/$(get_libdir)/debiancompat/ or similar, and if
10 >>>> you
11 >>>> still don't want to wrap the apps that need it then also install
12 >>>> an
13 >>>> /etc/env.d/ file to add this dir to the LDPATH.
14 >>>
15 >>> +1 to this. I was going to suggest something similar.
16 >>>
17 >>> At least, because I'm still thinking in a view other than "steam",
18 >>> and
19 >>> anticipating "Maybe we're going to do more of this"
20 >>>
21 >>> If more than one binary application need more than one debian hack,
22 >>> stuffing all the debian hacks in a special prefix that everyone can
23 >>> use
24 >>> without polluting the main gentoo stuff is an advantage.
25 >>>
26 >>> ( And the separate dir makes it clear what the library is for and
27 >>> why
28 >>> its there if anyone is trying to weed out some library problem that
29 >>> still manages to happen despite our attempts )
30 >>
31 >> I also like the private libdir better than installing a symlink in a
32 >> "standard" libdir.
33 >
34 > The question is really why, still.
35 > I only see some sort of tidyness arguments, but it's not exactly tidy
36 > to clobber ld.so.conf either, so I don't consider this a real argument.
37 >
38 > If you install a proprietary package from their .tar.bz2 or Loki .sh
39 > installer or whatever, the user will not know to install some libpcre-
40 > debian package.
41 > Also, again, PCRE2 is there. Soon dev-libs/libpcre:3 (libpcre-8.*) is
42 > primarily a binary package satisfier anyways, so why not just satisfy
43 > libpcre.so.3 while at it. Funny fact - we have it in SLOT=3 too :)
44 >
45 > Ultimately I don't care personally as a gentoo user, as I will know to
46 > install this useless symlink package. Maybe, if I remember. And only
47 > because of a 10+ thread. But our users are uselessly bothered when they
48 > actually need it by something.
49 > They ought to be able to choose to not care, and have shit working out
50 > of the box. This is providing a very important choice, in the spirit of
51 > Gentoo.
54 > Mart
55 >
56 We normally have our differences but I have to agree here. Getting
57 proprietary stuff to work at all is a pain; being able to simply not
58 care and "just make it work" would be great. I think we can do it no
59 matter where we choose to install things. iirc the steam-meta package
60 already includes a wrapper.
61
62 Given that Valve only promises support on Ubuntu (and SteamOS which is
63 basically Ubuntu), we should probably use a Debian/Ubuntu-specific
64 compat dir so we can address all future kludges instead of just PCRE.
65
66 But really, we should be able to make it so users can `emerge -a steam`,
67 wait a few minutes, and be able to type "steam" into a terminal or run
68 dialog and it "just works". Skype does it; I don't see why Steam can't,
69 unless there's a licensing problem.
70
71 (This is my perspective as a user who begrudgingly uses Skype and Steam,
72 and has historically had more trouble from Steam)
73 --
74 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
75 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
76 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6