From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The problem of unmaintained packages in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 18:25:24
1 On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 03:03:21PM +0000, Roy Bamford wrote:
2 > > So, I guess this means that the quality of the ~arch tree is supposed
4 > > be somewhat lower than the quality of the stable tree.
5 > >
6 > > William
10 > William,
11 >
12 > I've been running ~arch everywhere since May 2002 and had exactly
13 > two major issues. They were :-
14 > Xorg going modular ... which I was aware of before it happened and
15 > expat which came as a surprise while I was dealing with modular
16 > Xorg.
17 >
18 > There have been some minor inconviences along the way too but
19 > problems running ~arch have reduced over the years.
20 >
21 > Nobody should run Gentoo at all in production unless they build
22 > and test packages offline before pushing the binaries to production.
23 > Then they can run whatever they want.
24 > Every Gentoo install is different and very few possible
25 > combinations are actually tested.
26 >
27 > By all means lower the bar for ~arch. Say, to "builds and works for
28 > me, needs more testing". The down side is that it will create more
29 > bug reports and more work, so it may only exchange one problem
30 > for another.
31
32 I think there's some confusion here. I'm not trying to change the bar
33 for ~arch, just trying to understand what that bar is supposed to be.
34
35 William