From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE Flag Grouping) with -@GROUP goodness
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:11:08
1 On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:31:19 +0200 Maurice van der Pot
2 <griffon26@g.o> wrote:
3 | The problem with -something seems to be two-fold:
4 | 1) it's hard to realize the consequence of double negations
5
6 True.
7
8 | 2) with -@GROUP1 and @GROUP2 where both groups share a use flag
9 | it is order dependent whether or not the common use flag will
10 | be in the end result
11
12 That's already an issue, though... If you USE="foo -foo", and then have
13 a per-package "foo" USE flag set up, we're already dealing with
14 order-sensitive material.
15
16 | Whether a use flag is specifically turned off for a group or it is
17 | just not present in the group should make no difference for the
18 | meaning of GROUP. The same holds for -@GROUP. In other words, -use and
19 | -@GROUP should only be used in the definition of a group to filter
20 | flags out.
21 |
22 | Assume MYGNOME="@GNOME -gtk", then USE="... -@MYGNOME ..." should
23 | *not* be equivalent to USE="... -@GNOME gtk ...", instead it should
24 | not influence the state of gtk at all.
25
26 Interesting idea. This then brings us back to one of the original
27 objections, which was that there should be some way to turn off flags
28 from within a group. Only way to do that would be to introduce yet
29 another modifier, which is inconsistent with the rest of portage and
30 will confuse the heck out of anyone who hasn't studied set theory...
31
32 | I would specify it like this:
33 |
34 | KDE $X kde qt -gtk -gnome
35 | GNOME $X gtk gtk2 gnome -kde -qt
36 |
37 | USE="@KDE @GNOME"
38 |
39 | That would result in:
40 | USE="X kde qt gtk gtk2 gnome"
41 |
42 | Exactly what the user wants.
43
44 Hm. Although, I don't think "I want KDE" should imply "I don't want
45 GNOME" anyway...
48 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
49 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
50 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm