From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:05:18
1 On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:51:44AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 120314 Greg KH wrote:
3 > > if you have /usr on a different filesystem today, with no initrd,
4 > > your machine could be broken and you don't even know it.
5 >
6 > Whatever do you mean ? -- if it were truly broken,
7 > it wouldn't perform in some important & obvious respect.
8
9 Not always, no, it isn't obvious that something didn't start up
10 correctly, or that it didn't fully load properly. Some programs later
11 on recover and handle things better.
12
13 > Do you mean "insecure" ? -- if so, what is the threat ?
14
15 No threat.
16
17 > > greg "why is this thread still alive" k-h
18 >
19 > Your dismissive response is perhaps one reason ...
20
21 Given that this is the first time I've responded to this thread in
22 weeks, I doubt it. People like to complain, that's nothing new, I
23 should be used to it by now, so perhaps it is all my fault...
24
25 greg k-h